Thursday, April 16, 2009

Caught in the act

Apparently, adult hyenas can be pesky too. Every few nights, hyenas from the Serena North Clan come into camp and act like they own the place. They steal shoes, eat buckets, chew on tarps, and generally cause trouble. I decided it was high time to go into stealth mode and catch the culprits in the act.

However, I wasn’t crazy about the idea of hiding out at night, waiting for hungry hyenas to come find me. Luckily, our own Andy Flies lent me a motion sensor camera with a super-cool night vision feature. That way, I could photograph the trespassers without fear of imminent disembowelment.

And, lo and behold, on night #3, the stakeout paid off.


Sauer - a young female who’s been hanging around the den recently - decided to pay us a visit. She was even kind enough to pose sideways for the camera so that I could ID her. Unfortunately, she was also kind enough to eat my last bar of soap.


I’m off to Nairobi for a week (good thing, since I'm out of soap), but the stakeout will continue when I return...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos! Do you think the soap has any impact on her digestive system?

Dana said...

I was wondering the same thing. You would have thought the taste of the soap wouldn't be that great.

If you see a hyena foaming at the mouth guess that be her :>)

Anonymous said...

If it was Lifebuoy soap, they may go blind. See photo

William said...

It drives me nuts the amount of soap I go through.

Nearly always happens with a night time shower when you leave the soap just for a couple of minutes... gone.

It was easy to solve the problem however.

Now, I just don't shower.

adw said...

Sauer is an adult female? Wow! And the soap thief, I wouldn't have guessed that either. You are going to get some cool shots with that camera, and maybe some of eles too...


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science